7 ways to make First Aid fun for children
If you haven't already started talking to your child about first aid, then don't panic. It's never too late to start! Whether your child hasn't done any first aid before or is confident at early years level, by around 6 to 7 years old children are often ready for more advanced concepts such as learning CPR and the recovery position. Sometimes, children find a real passion for first aid and are confident in learning these techniques at an even younger age with parental discretion.
1.Keep it fun, informative and interactive.
2. Prepare your child for what might happen if they or someone else gets hurt. Letting them know what to expect can help them to stay calm in an emergency. We love the Mini Adventures of Freddie book to help introduce first aid concepts to young children - available at Home | Mini First Aid Edinburgh (square.site).
3. If your child gets hurt, explain what is happening and any first aid that you are doing.
4. Find an affordable and fun first aid class for your child. Why not sign your child up to a Mini First Aid open kids classes! Or if you would prefer you could hold a private class in your home or a local hall for your child with their friends. Our early years class for 3-6 year olds is only £10, kids class for 7-11 year olds is just £15 and teens classes are £20. Your child can learn essential first aid skills online in an interactive and age appropriate way First Aid Classes for Children (minifirstaid.co.uk).
5. Make use of play time. Children love exploring what they have learnt through play so why not help them practise basic first aid skills with teddies and dolls. Older children may want to practice on each other and have fun showing you their recovery position.
6. Mix it up! Children may enjoy a range of ways at learning first aid so try a mixture of techniques. This could be using books, play, free resources and signing them up for a class too.
7. Be confident in your own first aid skills! It's easy to forget that children model what they see. Make sure that you are confident in your first aid skills by attending a Mini First Aid Edinburgh baby and child first aid class for parents - First Aid Classes for Adults (minifirstaid.co.uk)